Are you looking for a job to make money in San Francisco city? Ok, it is the post for you.
I interviewed and collaborated with Maira Latelle, HR expert, Deloitte, San Francisco representative to create this article. Here are 27 of the top ways to make money in San Francisco:
1. Become a rideshare driver:
Driving for a rideshare company like Uber or Lyft allows you to make money using your own car and set your own schedule. You can drive part-time, full-time, or just occasionally when you want.
Pros and Cos:
- Flexible schedule – log on whenever you want.
- Earn to $26/hour on average after expenses.
- Cash out earnings instantly.
- Meeting new people can help develop work or business relationships.
- Lots of driving around and waiting for fares.
- Dealing with traffic and passengers.
- Paying for gas, insurance, maintenance/repairs.
How to start? •
- Basic requirement: over 21 years old, have a clean driving, four-door vehicle from 2006 or later, car insurance…Requirement in details at: Uber, Lyft website.
- No car? No problem. Both companies have car rental programs with preferential prices.
- How to get started? Apply Uber here, apply Lyft here
2. Make money by affiliate marketing
The online e-commerce market is estimated to be about $6.3 trillion by 2023. The demand for online sales brokers will increase, which is affiliate marketing.
When you register for affiliate marketing for a business, you will be given a link for each product. Customers who buy products through your link will receive a commission.
I have been registered as an affiliate marketer for Amazon since March 2018 and I had an income of $3,306.44 in Aug 2023. It’s not much, but it’s still a great encouragement to me in addition to other income.
To participate in affiliate marketing, follow these steps:
- Choose a niche: choose a niche of products, services, interests… such as health, fitness, fashion, beauty, lifestyle, sports, travel, gaming…
- Choose a platform to promote products such as creating a website/blog, social media, podcasts…
- Content creation.
- Promote your channel/website.
- Choose affiliate networks like Amazon, Clickbank, Rakuten, CJ, Etsy…
- Receive monthly, weekly, 2-week commissions via Paypal, Payoneer…
Related post: 6 steps on how I make money from affiliate marketing
3. Make money by blogging:
Nowadays blogging has become an all too common job for anyone. You can choose blogging services such as WordPress, Blogger, Wix, Weebly, Medium, Tumblr…
These services allow you to use them for free under your name. .com service name (yogawithmie.wordpress.com) or you can buy your own domain name e.g. yogawithmie.com
No matter which method you use, with today’s technology platform, you can’t imagine it’s so easy and doesn’t require you to have IT skills.
I started blogging in 2015 about career guides, which was a bit of a mistake, because I couldn’t make much money with affiliate marketing from this niche.
In Aug 2023 my income from Adsense ads was $4,205.43.
The benefits of blogging:
- Sell advertising for Google Asense, Ezoic, Infolinks…
- Become an Affiliate for Amazon, Clickbank, Etsy…
- Sell your products such as ebooks, courses, consulting services…
- Promote personal and corporate brands.
- Build a network of relationships in the niche…
Steps to make money with blogging:
- Choose a niche: for example yoga, similar to the steps in affiliate marketing.
- Choose a blogging platform for example: wordpress.com.
- Blog settings.
- Content creation and blog promotion.
- Sign up for money-making programs.
Related post: 7 steps on how I make money blogging
4. Make money by paid surveys:
Surveys are a huge niche in marketing because every company wants to find and screen potential customers.
For each completed survey, you will be paid $0.5 – $2.5. But if you have the know-how, you can make $10-$15.
I used to do paid surveys from 2015-2016 but I gave up to switch to blogging. Back then I didn’t earn much, about $150 per month. I asked David Tan, a friend of mine, he earned $520 last month from paid survey.
But I will share David Tan’s secret in this post, he has a total income of $7500 per month from paid surveys because he has his own system.
5. Forex/Crypto Trading:
For those interested in financial markets, forex (foreign exchange) trading or cryptocurrency trading presents an opportunity for potentially significant returns on investment. However, it is crucial to approach these markets with caution and acquire the necessary knowledge before diving in.
I interviewed Stanley Druckenmiller, an experienced crypto expert, here are some of his tips:
- Stay updated with market trends and news.
- Set clear financial goals and stick to them.
- Diversify your investment portfolio to minimize risks.
- Use stop-loss orders to protect your investments.
- Practice risk management by only investing what you can afford to lose.
- Research and choose reliable trading platforms or brokers.
- Develop a trading strategy and stick to it consistently.
- Keep emotions in check and avoid impulsive trading decisions.
Related post: Steps to successful in crypto/forex trading
6. YouTube Channel:
Creating content on YouTube has become increasingly lucrative as video consumption continues to rise globally. By building an audience through engaging videos and monetizing your channel with ads or sponsored content, you can generate income while doing what you love.
I was able to interview Michelle Griffiths, a YouTuber, my fiend, she has a channel about her favorite dogs, with 900,000+ subs and 2.4 million views per month.
Here are some tips from Michelle Griffiths in building a successful YouTube channel:
– Define your niche and target audience.
– Create high-quality and engaging content.
– Optimize your video titles, descriptions, and tags for SEO.
– Consistently upload new videos to keep your audience engaged.
– Promote your channel through social media and collaborations.
– Interact with your viewers by responding to comments and messages.
– Utilize eye-catching thumbnails to attract clicks.
– Analyze your analytics to understand what content resonates with your audience.
Related post: Steps to build a successful YouTube channel
With the rise of remote work and the gig economy, freelancing has become a popular way to earn a living. Whether you have skills in writing, graphic design, programming, or marketing, freelancing allows you to work on projects for various clients and set your own rates.
I contacted and interviewed Tasha Whitman, a full-time freelancer at Upwork. She started from freelance writing and now provides SEO services. Tasha Whitman has served 7500+ clients on Upworks, here are some of her freelance experiences:
– Build a strong online presence through a professional website and active social media profiles.
– Develop a diverse portfolio showcasing your skills and expertise.
– Network with other freelancers and industry professionals to expand your opportunities.
– Set clear goals and create a schedule to stay organized and meet deadlines.
– Continuously update your skills and stay up-to-date with industry trends.
– Provide exceptional customer service to build a strong reputation and gain referrals.
– Be proactive in marketing yourself by reaching out to potential clients and pitching your services.
Related post: Steps to success in freelancing
8. Etsy/Amazon Store:
Setting up an online store has never been easier with platforms like Etsy or Amazon. By selling products directly to customers through your e-commerce store, you can tap into a global market and potentially achieve substantial profits.
I had the opportunity to interview Jessica Lee, my client. She opened a handmade shop on Etsy with over $700,000 in sales per year.
The following is Jessica Lee’s experience to open a successful E-commerce Store:
- Choose a user-friendly e-commerce platform.
- Optimize your website for mobile devices.
- Create high-quality product images and descriptions.
- Offer multiple payment options for customer convenience.
- Implement a secure checkout process to build trust.
- Use social media and email marketing to promote your store.
- Provide excellent customer service and support.
- Regularly update your inventory and add new products.
Related post: Steps to create a successful Etsy/Amazon Store
Dropshipping is a business model that eliminates the need for inventory management and upfront investment. By partnering with suppliers who handle product storage and shipping, you can focus on marketing and sales while earning a percentage of each sale.
In this section, I would like to share the experience of Peter Tran, a dropshipper from Vietnam. He opened a sales website on Shopify and specializes in selling handicrafts from Vietnam, $900,000 in sales in the past 12 months
Dropshipping tips from Peter Tran:
– Find a profitable niche with high demand and low competition.
– Research and select reliable suppliers with quality products.
– Create an attractive and user-friendly online store.
– Optimize your product listings with compelling descriptions and high-quality images.
– Implement effective marketing strategies to drive traffic to your store.
– Provide excellent customer service to build trust and loyalty.
– Continuously analyze data, adapt, and optimize your dropshipping business.
Other ways to make money in San Fransico:
Here are other ways to make money that I would like to introduce to you. I will update the details in the next time.
10. Dog Walker:
Love dogs? You can offer dog walking services in your local area. Many pet owners are willing to pay to have someone take their furry friends for regular walks.
If you enjoy spending time with children, consider offering babysitting services. This is work that requires carefulness and meticulousness but is very interesting.
12. Delivery drivers:
The demand for delivery drivers in San Francisco is increasing due to the demand for online shopping. You can sign up with many delivery platforms like Amazon to earn money by delivering packages or food orders.
13. Rent out Your Car.
14. Create Ebooks:
If you’re good at writing, create ebooks and sell them on platforms like Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. This allows you to earn royalties from each sale.
15. Create an online course:
If you have specialized knowledge or skills, why not create an online course? Platforms like Udemy and Teachable allow you to share your expertise and earn money through course subscriptions.
16. Domain name business:
Thanks to the development of e-commerce, the need for domain names has become more urgent, especially beautiful domain names, which is an opportunity for you to become a domain trader.
17. Website Trader:
Similar to domain trading, website flipping involves buying existing websites, improving them, and then selling them for a profit. This requires some knowledge of website development and digital marketing strategies.
18. Part-time photographer:
If photography is your passion, consider offering part-time photography services for events like weddings or family portraits. You can advertise your services locally or through online platforms dedicated to connecting photographers with clients.
19. Captcha Solver:
Some websites require users to solve captcha to prove they are human. You can sign up with authentic decoding platforms and get paid for solving these puzzles.
20. Online graphic design:
The demand for logos, banners, and social network graphics is huge on Upwork and Fiverr platforms. You can learn photoshop to provide freelance services here.
21. Virtual Assistant:
You can provide remote administrative support by managing emails, scheduling appointments, conducting research, and more.
22. Social Media Manager:
If you have social media marketing skills, you can offer your services as a social media manager and help businesses grow their online presence.
23. Online tutoring: Platforms like Tutor.com and VIPKid connect tutors with students looking for academic support.
24. Voiceover Artist:
You might consider becoming a voiceover artist and lending your voice to commercials, audiobooks, animations, and more.
25. Gardening service.
26. Local travel agency: This is a great job to promote San Francisco.
27. Freelance writer:
Many companies are in need of blog posts, articles, website copywriting services, and more. which you may offer on a freelance basis.
Above are 27 ways to make money in San Francisco. If you need any more information, please leave a comment.