Last night I received a message on Facebook from Charlotte Williams. She is a Vehicle or Equipment Cleaner in Chicago. She needs advice on part-time jobs and making extra money in Chicago.
Here are 27 suggested jobs for Charlotte Williams and friends.
1. Rideshare Driver:
I have a friend who drives Uber every time he has free time. He also used to run Lyft. Both Lyft and Uber are famous car companies in Chicago.
Some pros of driving for Uber or Lyft:
– No special requirements: As long as you meet the basic age, licensing, insurance and vehicle requirements, you can start driving.
– Earn to $26/hour on average after expenses
– Cash out earnings instantly: You can cash out your earnings daily rather than wait for the weekly payout.
– Meet new people.
– Explore the city.
Some potential cons:
– Inconsistent income: Your earnings vary each week based on rider demand, promotions, your availability, etc.
– Deal with traffic and difficult passengers: Big city traffic and the occasional rude passenger come with the job.
– Expenses add up: You have to pay for gas, insurance, maintenance and cleaning out of pocket.
Overall, driving for Uber or Lyft is one of the most flexible, popular side hustles in Chicago. If you enjoy driving and providing good customer service, it’s an easy way to earn solid income. The freedom and casual nature of the job make it a great option.
2. Make money by affiliate marketing:
By partnering with companies as an affiliate marketer, you can earn commissions by promoting their products or services through unique referral links. This allows you to monetize your online presence and earn passive income.
My first niche site: home décor / since Aug 2018. You can search for affiliate programs from Chicago market or from Amazon, Etsy, Clickbank… My income last month: $3,306.44 as below (exinclude other affiliate networks).
Steps to make money by affiliate marketing as my experience:
– Choose a profitable niche.
– Research and select high-converting affiliate products or services to promote.
– Build a professional website or blog to showcase your chosen niche and affiliate offers.
– Create valuable content.
– Know how to drive targeted traffic to your website.
– Implement effective conversion strategies such as compelling call-to-actions and persuasive copywriting.
– Continuously analyze data and optimize your affiliate marketing campaigns for better results.
– Build relationships with other affiliates or influencers in your niche for potential collaborations or joint ventures.
Related post: 6 steps on how I make money from affiliate marketing
3. Make money blogging:
If you have a passion for writing or sharing your expertise on a speciffic subject, starting a blog can be an excellent way to generate income.
My first blog is about career niche/since 2015. You choose topics for your blog such as hobbies, sights or guides about Chicago City. My last income from career blog: $4,205.43 / Aug 2023 from Google adsense (exincluded other advertising networks, income).
Steps to do blogging as my experience:
– Choose a profitable niche.
– Set up your blog.
– Create high-quality, engaging content that provides value to your readers.
– Implement effective SEO strategies to drive organic traffic to your blog.
– Monetize your blog through various methods such as affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and selling digital products.
– Build an engaged audience through social media promotion and email marketing.
– Continuously analyze and optimize your blogging strategy to maximize revenue potential.
Related post: 7 steps on how I make money blogging
4. Paid Surveys:
In the digital age, you can earn cash or gift cards in your spare time from home by taking online surveys. There are many websites like Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, Vindale Research and more that’ll pay you for sharing your opinions on products, services, ads and so much more. It’s easy passive income.
Here are some key aspects of online survey taking:
– Find legit survey sites: Check review sites to identify reputable platforms known for actually rewarding participants.
– You will be paid $0.5 – $2.5 but if you have the know-how, you can make $10-$15 from Chicago market .
– Take screening surveys: You’ll need to complete screens to qualify for surveys targeting specific demographics.
– Provide honest answers: Don’t rush or falsify info just to complete surveys or you could risk getting banned.
– Cash out earnings: Most sites let you redeem points for PayPal cash, Amazon, Target or Starbucks gift cards and more.
Some pros of taking online surveys:
– Flexible schedule: You can take surveys in your downtime whenever it’s convenient.
– Low commitment: Most surveys take 5-30 minutes so you can do as many or few as you want.
– Variety of topics: You’ll get all kinds of fun questions about products, ads, politics, healthcare, and more.
– Easy money: Survey rewards can add up over time, especially if you qualify for well-paying surveys.
– Slow accumulation: Don’t expect to earn big money right away since payouts per survey are small.
– Frequency varies: Survey opportunities tend to ebb and flow based on market research demands.
– Disqualifications: You’ll sometimes get kicked out of surveys partway through for not meeting demographic needs.
– Tedious tasks: While some surveys are interesting, the repetitive nature of others can get old.
Taking online surveys likely won’t make you rich but it can earn you a nice side income over time for very minimal, flexible “work”. Sign up for a few legit survey sites and check for new opportunities periodically when you’re bored to start earning.
Related post: How to make $7,500 per month from paid surveys
5. Forex/Crypto Trading:
For those with an interest in finance and market trends, forex or cryptocurrency trading offers potential financial gains. However, it requires knowledge of the market dynamics and risk management strategies.
Forex/Crypto tips from Stanley Druckenmiller, an experienced crypto expert:
– Stay updated with market trends and news.
– Set realistic expectations and avoid chasing quick profits.
– Use risk management strategies like stop-loss orders.
– Diversify your portfolio to minimize risk.
– Research and choose reputable trading platforms or brokers.
– Practice patience and avoid impulsive trading decisions.
Related post: 10 steps to successful in crypto/forex trading
If you have marketable skills such as writing, graphic design, web development, or social media management, freelancing allows you to work independenttly and earn money by taking on projects for clients worldwide.
I did a special interview Tasha Whitman for our Chicago community, sub: #freelance career, she has served 7500+ clients on Upworks, here are some of her freelance experiences:
– Identify your niche and target market.
– Build a strong online presence through a professional website and social media profiles.
– Develop a portfolio showcasing your best work.
– Network with other freelancers and potential clients to expand your opportunities.
– Set clear goals and create a schedule to stay organized and meet deadlines.
– Continuously update your skills to stay competitive in the industry.
– Provide excellent customer service and communicate effectively with clients.
– Price your services competitively, considering factors such as experience, expertise, and market demand.
– Always deliver high-quality work on time to build a reputation for reliability.
– Seek feedback from clients to improve your skills and enhance client satisfaction.
Related post: 9 steps to success in freelancing
Creating engaging video content on YouTube opens up opportunities for earning revenue through ad placements, brand partnerships, sponsorships, merchandise sales, or even crowdfunding from loyal subscribers.
I had a special interview Michelle Griffiths for our Chicago community, she is my client, she has a channel about her favorite dogs, with 900,000+ subs and 2.4 million views per month.
Tips from Michelle Griffiths:
– Define your niche and target audience
– Create high-quality and engaging content
– Optimize your video titles, descriptions, and tags for SEO
– Promote your channel through social media and collaborations
– Interact with your viewers through comments and community posts
– Consistently upload new videos on a regular schedule
– Utilize eye-catching thumbnails to attract clicks
– Analyze your analytics.
Related post: 7 steps to build a successful YouTube channel
8. E-commerce Store:
With the growing popularity of online shopping, setting up an e-commerrce store can be a lucrative venture. Whether you sell physical products or digital goods, you can reach a global audiience and generate income around the clock.
I had a special interview Jessica Lee on August 25, 2023 for our Chicago community, she is my client, she opened a handmade shop on Etsy with over $700,000 in sales per year.
Some freelance tips from Jessica Lee:
– Choose a user-friendly and visually appealing website design.
– Optimize your product descriptions with relevant keywords for better SEO.
– Offer multiple payment options to cater to different customer preferences.
– Implement a secure and easy-to-use checkout process for seamless transactions.
– Provide detailed product images and accurate information to build trust with customers.
– Utilize social media platforms to promote your products and engage with potential customers.
– Offer exceptional customer service by promptly responding to inquiries and resolving issues.
– Regularly update your inventory and add new products to keep customers interested.
– Implement effective marketing strategies such as email campaigns, discounts, and promotions.
Related post: 7 steps to create a successful Etsy/Amazon Store
As an alternative to traditional e-commerce, dropshipping eliminates the need for inventory management. By partnering with suppliers who handle product fulfillment, you can focus on marketing and customer service while earning a profit from each sale.
In this section, I want to share the experience of Peter Tran, a dropshipper from Vietnam for our Chicago community, also my friend, he opened a sales website on Shopify and specializes in selling handicrafts from Vietnam to US, $900,000 in sales in the past 12 months
Dropshipping tips from Peter Tran:
– Find a profitable niche market
– Research and select reliable suppliers
– Create an appealing and user-friendly online store
– Optimize product descriptions for SEO
– Implement effective marketing strategies
– Provide excellent customer service
– Continuously analyze and adjust your pricing strategy
– Stay updated on industry trends and competition
Other ways to make money in Chicago
10. Dog Walker:
As a dog walker, you’ll get paid to take dogs on walks and provide exerrcise and companionship. As a pet sitter, you’ll go to clients’ homes to feed, play with and care for their petss while they’re at work or out of town.
Some pros of the job:
– Flexible side gig: You can work full-time or part-time to supplement your income.
– Little experience required: While pet care experience is great, you can pick up skills on the job.
– Cash business: You get paid in cash by your clients, often at the end of each service.
– Low startup costs: You just need leashes, waste bags, treats, and pet first aid knowledge.
– Inconsistent pay: Earnings vary based on the number and frequency of clients.
– Outdoor hazards: Dog walking can be challenging in extreme weather and sidewalk conditions.
– Managing pet behaviors: You need patience and skill dealing with unruly or anxious pets.
– Minimal benefits: You must provide your own insurance and lack paid leave or retirement savings accounts.
Offering your services as a babysitter can be a flexible and lucrative option, especially for those who enjoy working with children.
12. Delivery Driver:
With the rise of food delivery apps and e-commerce platforms, becoming a delivery driver can provide you with flexible hours and decent earnings.
13. Create an Ebook:
If you have expertise in a particular field or are passionate about writing, creating and selling an ebook can be a great way to generate passive income.
14. Create an Online Course:
Share your knowledge and skills by creating an online course on platforms like Udemy or Teachable. This allows you to earn money while helping others learn something new.
15. Domain Trader:
Buy and sell domain names for profit by identifying valuable domains that businesses may be interested in purchasing.
16. Website Trader:
Build and optimize websites before selling them on platforms like Flippa or Empire Flippers for potential profits.
17. Part-Time Photographer:
If you have an eye for photography, consider offering your services for events, portraits, or stock photography sales online.
18. Captcha Solver:
Some websites require users to solve captchas for security purposes; you can get paid for solving these captchas through various captcha-solving platforms.
19. Online Graphic Design:
Utilize your design skills by providing graphic design services on freelance platforms like Fiverr or Upwork.
20. Virtual Assistant:
Assist busy professionals remotely with tasks such as email management, scheduling appointments, data entry, and more as a virtual assistant.
21. Social Media Manager:
Help businesses enhance their online presence by managing their social media accounts, creating engaging content, and implementing effective marketing strategies.
22. Online Tutor:
Share your knowledge and expertise by offering online tutoring services in subjects like math, languages, or test preparation.
23. Voiceover Artist:
If you have a pleasant voice and good pronunciation skills, consider offering your services as a voiceover artist for commercials, audiobooks, or podcasts.
24. Local Travel Agent:
Help people plan their vacations and earn commissions by becoming a local travel agent or affiliate marketer for travel-related companies.
25. Gardening service.
26: House sitting.
27. Freelance Writer:
If you have strong writing skills, you can offer your serrvices as a freelance writer for blog posts, articles, website content, or copywriting projects.